There are so many days when I am already 10 minutes late for class, 30 minutes late for an appointment, or hours late to meet up friends for dinner. I’m out of the shower, my hair is still soaking wet, and I have NO idea what I’m going to wear. It’s times like these that my 5 minute makeup routine comes into use. I think it’s great for women to develop a quick and efficient way to apply their makeup for those days where every minute counts. You don’t want to neglect putting on any makeup, but at the same time you don’t want to feel SO rushed that you mess up (which sometimes leads to more time wasted!).
A few months ago, my friends were annoyed of how long I was taking to get ready. I told them that I would be ready in 5 minutes (obviously thinking 5 min in girl code means 15..or maybe 30?). Being the impatient friends that they are, I was put to the test. They told me they didn’t believe that I could do my makeup in 5 minutes so they actually timed me! This is when my makeup in under 5 minutes routine developed. I ended up finishing right over four minutes. This made me realize how convenient and necessary it is to have a quick makeup regimen that still still gives the results as if you spent hours doing it. Here is MY 5 minute makeup routine:
CONCEALER-00:35 (35 seconds)
- Place under your eyes to cover up dark circles. I use my finger.
POWDER-01:20 (45 seconds)
- Use a big brush to apply over the entire face.
BRONZER-01:45 (25 seconds)
- Focus on the cheekbones.
EYE LINER- 03:00 (1 minute and 15 seconds)
- It’s okay if this part takes you the longest. Mainly because if you mess up top liner, you have to remove it and it ends up taking more time. I usually make my liner thicker when doing makeup in five. Since I am not adding as many products to my face, I try to highlight the products I am using drastically.
MASCARA-04:00 (1 minute)
- I don’t compromise time here either. If it takes me 15 extra seconds to make sure my lashes don’t clump together, then so be it!
LIP GLOSS- 04:11 (10 seconds)
- I normally put lipstick with a bit of gloss over it, but in my quick routine, I changed it up and ended up discovering that I like the way gloss looks against my lips without applying lipstick first. It gives a more natural look.
Everyones routine should be different. With five minutes, it’s important to focus more time on the features you want to highlight. The key isn’t putting everything on quicker, but putting on the items that matter the most. So on a day where you have an hour to spend getting ready, you may put on some primer, lip stick, lip liner, blush, eye shadow, a highlighter, etc..but when you’re in a rush, focus on the core items that really make a difference on your face. I challenge you guys to do your makeup in under 5 minutes without compromising the quality of the routine. You may discover a new look that you previously didn’t know you could create. It’s amazing what being on a time crunch can do to your skills!
COMING SOON: Travel friendly makeup
What’s apart of your 5 min makeup regimen?